• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NHJobMarket.com

Started by Lex, August 26, 2005, 10:29 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lex

The purpose of this thread is to develop the NHJobMarket.com website. I will be doing the development and you will be providing the feedback, suggestions and general thoughts.

This thread started from discussion in another thread and this is where we left off:
Quote from: eukreign on August 26, 2005, 09:37 AM NHFT
Okay, here is the first request for feedback. I have completed the join page (which will also be the basis for the user profile) and I would like some feedback on the fields that I have:

http://beta.nhjobmarket.com/?action=join

Are there any other pieces of information that potential employers want to see? Other than  resume of course which I will add later.

BTW, the form actually works so you can try creating an account, it will do all the proper error handling and what not and also insert the record in the database (passwords aren't encrypted yet though and no email is sent out upon registration). Also, you can't login yet.

My goal for today is to complete any remaining issues with the join code and finish the login procedure and hopefuly start on the Create Job functionality.

Russell Kanning

Where do you live currently Lex?
When you trying to move by? :)

Lex

Quote from: russellkanning on August 26, 2005, 10:42 AM NHFT
Where do you live currently Lex?
When you trying to move by? :)

We (me, my wife, two dogs, a cat, a horse and soon to be born daughter) are currently are living in Morris, IL.

One date we've been thinking over is sometime next April. This way we have a higher chance of selling our house (houses sell better in the summer) and not have to worry about the cold winter while we spend the summer moving up to NH. We would like to purchase lots of land (20 or more acres) and live in a trailer for the first year or if we can find property with a house that's not too expensive that would work as well and try to custom build a nice house with barn for our horse.

At least that's the plan, we'll see how things work out.

I work as a software developer and my wife is a web designer so we both work from home and would like to live somewhere in the middle of nowhere, as long as there is high speed internet in the area.

Any advice or recommendations?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: eukreign on August 26, 2005, 05:43 PM NHFTand would like to live somewhere in the middle of nowhere, as long as there is high speed internet in the area.
Any advice or recommendations?
almost by definition ... you can't have both
But maybe a place in the woods .... where you can't see your neighbor ...... but you are not outside of that 1 service
RE guy could help I guess .... I only know my area

Russell Kanning

When the site is ready .... I can start putting up the job info I have ...... and can start funneling people there on both sides.

I say ....just put ads there to pay for the site and let the games begin.

This is a great project for someone who is outside of NH ..... you will be helping a lot of people out 8)

Lex

Quote from: russellkanning on August 26, 2005, 09:11 PM NHFT
This is a great project for someone who is outside of NH ..... you will be helping a lot of people out 8)

Thanks for the encouragement, it helps keep me focused ;)

Lex

Alright, LOTS of new updates:

1. Login now works.
2. Passwords are encrypted.
3. Cookie is set after login (I still have to implement the option of settings cookie forever or only per browser session).
4. After logging in you see a list of all jobs.
5. Ability to add jobs.
6. Logout feature which deletes the cookie and exits the site.*

This is just a first pass meant to get things working, I will try to spend at least a few hours over the weekend cleaning things up and adding a View page for the jobs. Also, I"m looking for feedback on any extra fields that should be added to the job table.

* katdillon - I think this will be your favorite feature ;)

Again, the website is: http://beta.nhjobmarket.com

Edit:

Known Bug: Don't use apostraphies anywhere yet, i forgot to escape them and they blow up the SQL... go figure.

Lex

Here is the latest database schema, feedback welcome:

CREATE TABLE Users (
    UserName VARCHAR PRIMARY KEY CHECK (length(UserName) > 2),
    Password VARCHAR NOT NULL,
    Email VARCHAR NOT NULL,

FirstName VARCHAR,
    LastName VARCHAR,
    Address1 VARCHAR,
    Address2 VARCHAR,
    City VARCHAR,
    State VARCHAR,
    ZipCode VARCHAR,
    Country VARCHAR,
    Phone VARCHAR,

JobTitle VARCHAR,
    Description TEXT,
    ResumeFile VARCHAR,

MoveDate VARCHAR, /* when intends to move to NH */
    MoveArea VARCHAR, /* where intends to move to NH */

ViewedCount INTEGER DEFAULT 0, /* How many times this profile was viewed. */

SessionID VARCHAR, /* matches cookie set in browser */

CreateDate TIMESTAMP NOT NULL DEFAULT NOW(),
    LastEditDate TIMESTAMP NOT NULL DEFAULT NOW()
);

CREATE TABLE Connections (
    UserName VARCHAR NOT NULL REFERENCES Users ON DELETE CASCADE,
    Relationship VARCHAR,
    Connection VARCHAR NOT NULL REFERENCES Users (UserName) ON DELETE CASCADE,
    Authorized BOOLEAN
);

CREATE TABLE Business (
    BusinessID SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
    Name VARCHAR,
    Description TEXT,

Address1 VARCHAR,
    Address2 VARCHAR,
    City VARCHAR,
    State VARCHAR,
    ZipCode VARCHAR,
    Country VARCHAR,
    Phone VARCHAR,

Category VARCHAR,

);

CREATE TABLE Job (
    JobID SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
    BusinessID INTEGER REFERENCES Business ON DELETE CASCADE,

Title VARCHAR NOT NULL,
    Description TEXT,
    Location TEXT,
    Requirements TEXT,
    Contact TEXT,

);

CREATE TABLE Message (
    MessageID SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
    ObjectType VARCHAR CHECK (ObjectType IN ('Business', 'Job')),
    ObjectID INTEGER,
    Body TEXT,
);

Friday

Way to take the bull by the horns, eukreign! Thank you for your efforts!  :)

Russell Kanning

I will just be linking to this page from my page. 8)
I will throw my efforts behind this one.

Lex

Update:

1. "Date job was added" column in job listing.
2. Job view page.

Please test and provide feedback, thanks.

Russell Kanning

After I signed up there was no reassuring message that I had succeeded.

What if someone has multiple jobs in mind .... or how could we post resumes and dream jobs?

Russell Kanning

How can we "search" for words in the job listings?

How can we search for candidates?

Lex

It's been a while since my last update, but fear not I have been doing a lot of work. Most of it unfortunately has been under the hood stuff so it's not visible to the user. There have been a few user level features added though:

1. After regestering a message is displayed above the login form stating that the registration was successful. (per russellkanning request) Still working on the email being sent though.
2. A few changes have been made to the registration process, at the end of the join form it now asks if you will be "posting resumes/looking for jobs", "posting jobs/looking for resumes" or "both". This has the affect of reducing the amount of options you see on the screen after login. Having said that after implementing the feature I realized that it may confuse and prevent people from doing the things they want to get done (for example, if you want to post jobs and accidentally skip over that part of the form, you may be out of luck). I dono, i can be easily talked out of keeping that feature, this would also simplify the system. So what do you guys say? Keep it or get rid of it? I can explain my reasoning behind it more if there are questions. -- SO, MAKE SURE YOU SELECT "I will perform both tasks." WHEN CREATING AN ACCOUNT so that you can test all the features.
2. A "dashboard" has been added which shows the system from your perspective, jobs you have added, resumes you have created, etc. This is still under heavy development and only the sections "Resumes", "Businesses" and "Jobs" are somewhat functioning.
3. Businesses can be added, updated and deleted.
4. Jobs can be added, update and deleted. Your businesses also show up in the dropdown on the Jobs screen so you can attach a job to a business of yours.
5. Resumes can be added, edited (make sure you enter a start/end date in the form MM/DD/YYYY, otherwise it will blow up), deleted and published/unpublished. The idea behind publishing is that while you are working on your resume it is not searchable, once you publish it, it will show up in search results (this is actually working now). After adding a resume you can add work experiences (the other items, Education, Skills don't work yet). When performing a search on resumes only the JobTitle and Objective are currently searched but eventually you'll be able to search the work experiences and basically every other field associated with a resume. Resumes still have a very long way to go...
6. Find jobs, find people and find resumes are all working (one useful thing is that if you want to get a list of all items of each kind, click Search button without typing anything in the search box). For "find jobs" only title and description are searched. For "find people" only first name and last name are searched. For "find resumes" only jobtitle and objective are searched. This will definitely expand and hopefuly you will be able to search on all the fields. Another thing to note is that you can only search one keyword (if you type in two keywords it will treat it as a single keyword) this will also be resolved in my next update.

All user accounts have been removed since the last update. So everyone will have to rejoin.

Thanks,

Lex

Russell Kanning