• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Freestater reps in Manchester?

Started by J’raxis 270145, September 11, 2007, 11:21 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

J’raxis 270145

Are there any freestaters in Manchester interested in running for state rep?

We have two reps in Manchester, Michael DesRoches (district 10) and Maureen Nagle (district 15), who were both rated dereliction of duty by the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance for their "work" in 2007. These two missed 100% of the twenty-two votes that the NHLA rates as important liberty issues. Their complete voting record is even worse: Nagle appears to have only made three appearances at the State House for the entire year, and DesRoches, who "represents" the district in which I live, has missed every single vote.

We need to throw these two bums out of office, and replace them with a couple of freestaters. We already have Joel Winters in district 17, and we'll hopefully have Phil Greazzo for ward 10 alderman soon. Who'd like to take on one of these other districts?

I can already see the campaign slogan against DesRoches: Vote for me and I'll actually vote for you.

ny2nh

You know is some ways - we'd be better off if more of the reps in Manchester didnlt even go to Concord. Then at least they wouldn't be voting for the stupid crap that they do!!

J’raxis 270145

There's definitely something to that. But I'd rather have reps busily repealing all the bad RSAs than have these two potted plants that claim to "represent" us. Doing nothing unfortunately let's all the D-rated losers (the biggest chunk of our reps) get away with things they shouldn't.

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. — Edmund Burke

J’raxis 270145

Pat Long is both a city alderman and state rep. Has Phil considered doing something like this?

d_goddard

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 11, 2007, 01:21 PM NHFT
Pat Long is both a city alderman and state rep. Has Phil considered doing something like this?
You should ask that of the candidate. Preferably, in person, while helping on his campaign :)

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: d_goddard on September 11, 2007, 01:35 PM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 11, 2007, 01:21 PM NHFT
You should ask that of the candidate. Preferably, in person, while helping on his campaign :)

I plan to, and I'll be seeing him at the primary next week. But ny2nh has been working closely with him on his campaign so I thought she might know.

J’raxis 270145

Apparently Maureen Nagle was a fill-in candidate and didn't even plan to run. :o

CA_Libertarian

Is there a residency requirement to run, such as living in NH 2 yrs?

I won't be there until early next year anyhow, but this is one way I want to get involved in the future.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: CA_Libertarian on October 04, 2007, 11:52 AM NHFT
Is there a residency requirement to run, such as living in NH 2 yrs?

I won't be there until early next year anyhow, but this is one way I want to get involved in the future.

Quote from: Jon Maltz
State house (reps) is 2 years previous to the date of the election.  So If you move in mid november of 08, you can't run until 2012.  By Senate I meant U.S. Senate, not NH State Senate.

[Art.] 14. [Representatives, How Elected, Qualifications of.] Every member of the house of representatives shall be chosen by ballot; and, for two years, at least, next preceding his election shall have been an inhabitant of this state; shall be, at the time of his election, an inhabitant of the town, ward, place, or district he may be chosen to represent and shall cease to represent such town, ward, place, or district immediately on his ceasing to be qualified as aforesaid.

[Art.] 29. [Qualifications of Senators.] Provided nevertheless, that no person shall be capable of being elected a senator, who is not of the age of thirty years, and who shall not have been an inhabitant of this state for seven years immediately preceding his election, and at the time thereof he shall be an inhabitant of the district for which he shall be chosen. Should such person, after election, cease to be an inhabitant of the district for which he was chosen, he shall be disqualified to hold said position and a vacancy shall be declared therein.

[Art.] 42. [Election of Governor, Return of Votes; Electors; If No Choice, Legislature to Elect One of Two Highest Candidates; Qualifications for Governor.] The governor shall be chosen biennially in the month of November; and the votes for governor shall be received, sorted, counted, certified and returned, in the same manner as the votes for senators; and the secretary shall lay the same before the senate and house of representatives, on the first Wednesday following the first Tuesday of January to be by them examined, and in case of an election by a plurality of votes through the state, the choice shall be by them declared and published. And the qualifications of electors of the governor shall be the same as those for senators; and if no person shall have a plurality of votes, the senate and house of representatives shall, by joint ballot elect one of the two persons, having the highest number of votes, who shall be declared governor. And no person shall be eligible to this office, unless at the time of his election, he shall have been an inhabitant of this state for 7 years next preceding, and unless he shall be of the age of 30 years.

http://www.nh.gov/constitution/constitution.html

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=14202.msg175913#msg175913

frisco

Assuming I get the nomination, I'll be running in Hillsborough District 11 (Ward 4).  Word on the street is that there will be a full slate of state rep candidates on the LP ticket in Manchester.  Some of those will likely be reactive or paper though.  Mine will be active.

OnGard4Liberty

I'll vote for you in 2 years, J...If I'm there by that time.  ;D

Quote from: Morey on October 14, 2007, 08:19 PM NHFT
Assuming I get the nomination, I'll be running in Hillsborough District 11 (Ward 4).  Word on the street is that there will be a full slate of state rep candidates on the LP ticket in Manchester.  Some of those will likely be reactive or paper though.  Mine will be active.

It would be a good move for any Free Staters who do run to try and run on both the Republican and Libertarian tickets.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Morey on October 14, 2007, 08:19 PM NHFT

Nice. Are LPers coördinating with freestaters who've joined the two mainstream parties? It would be very counterproductive to run an LP candidate in Joel Winter's district, for example.

frisco

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on October 14, 2007, 09:09 PM NHFT
Nice. Are LPers coördinating with freestaters who've joined the two mainstream parties? It would be very counterproductive to run an LP candidate in Joel Winter's district, for example.
None that I know of, but it's not a bad idea.  Also bear in mind that there are multiple reps for each district.

Rocketman

An LP candidate in West Manchester would be competing against 8 R's and 8 D's for 8 seats.