• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

MVP Meeting this week!

Started by shuvom, August 29, 2007, 09:52 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

shuvom

All,

Reminder that we've got a meeting this Saturday, the first, at 11 am, at Murphy's taproom!

There's a good chance Mayor Guinta will be there, and a GREAT chance that BOOK SWAP will occur. 

Let me know if anyone wants to be on the agenda: shuvom@comcast.net

Thanks,
Shuvom

d_goddard

We can't be there -- we will be picking up Irena's mom from the airport.
I would ask that ya'll please announce:
a) the MassCann rally in Boston on Sept 15
b) NHLA at the Loudon International Speedway on September 16th

Thanks!

KBCraig

Any chance that Tom Sawyer's camera will be there to record Hizzoner?

Given Guinta's jihad against the previous tenants of 494 Elm, him being there would be a positive sign. When Guinta speaks, the NH Liquor Commission sits up and begs.

Kat Kanning

Nice.

I believe Tom already recorded MVP, so doubt he'd be there.

ny2nh

Quote from: GraniteForge on August 30, 2007, 03:22 AM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on August 30, 2007, 02:13 AM NHFT
Any chance that Tom Sawyer's camera will be there to record Hizzoner?

Given Guinta's jihad against the previous tenants of 494 Elm, him being there would be a positive sign. When Guinta speaks, the NH Liquor Commission sits up and begs.

Those previous tenants earned what they got.  Too bad they didn't go away sooner.
Omega got closed down because it lost it's liquor license because it served minors on more than one occasion. And, they hadn't paid their rent in I forget how long. Crime outside that place was a constant problem - Omega marketed to MA residents specifically.

While Guinta can make recommendations to the liquor commission - he by far does not control it. I know Frank well and he is hardly anti-bar by any means! What was once a problematic business (Omega) is now something that is a plus for Manchester (Murphy's). As a longtime Manchester resident, I was glad to see them go. Omega was what got Omega closed, not the Mayor.

Russell Kanning

We will be there if we have new papers by then.

Lloyd Danforth

I had a good time.  I moved around some, but, the new lady managed to keep track of me and the bill was correct.  I drove a cab and know how nice getting tips can be and always leave 20% if the service is acceptable, given how busy they are and how staffed.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Rearden on August 30, 2007, 07:12 AM NHFT
While we're on the subject: people who tip less than 18% on a regular basis are likely to get ignored whenever my back is turned, and that's not just at my place, that's every restaurant in America.  

I am not sure all of America is like that.  For example, in Memphis there are certain places where the average tip is likely less than 15%.  Also, there are crazy people like me that tend to tip 20% for good service and 15% for average service but do not tip on the tax because it has nothing to do with the service or food.  Where I live it is not uncommon for bartenders in nicer places to average over $30 an hour and considering they likely report only half of that to the IRS they are making very good money (again considering they don't even need to have finished high school or paid for any special training).  They should try to serve everyone well.

I don't know what it is like in NH but to the majority of people where I live, 15% is still a decent enough tip that the person should not get ignored or bad service.

Edit:  Um, I forgot this is a meeting type event.  Um, actually, at my local LP meetings for example, the rest. lets us meet for free but they add in a 20% tip (even on taxes) to our bills and that seems fine since they let us use the meeting room for free.  However, in a non-MVP meeting type of situation, I still stand by what I said.

ny2nh

Hey, I'm doing my best, and I've weeded a few out.  Talking about it on this forum isn't very helpful.  Talking about it to me in person is, so I know which of my 25 employees is letting you down. 

While we're on the subject: people who tip less than 18% on a regular basis are likely to get ignored whenever my back is turned, and that's not just at my place, that's every restaurant in America.  Better tips = better service.  Time to a server or bartender is a precious commodity, and they're going to use it in the most profitable manner.  If it takes 90 seconds to get someone a beer, and you're in all the time and are a lousy tipper, but the guy at the next table is at worst an unknown quantity and at best a good tipper...

guess who gets the most attention?

Not saying this applies to you, Granite, but it does apply to a few in our group.  Look at your bill, move the decimal point one spot left, and multiply by two, and you'll be just fine. 

And before you say it, I know that better service also equals better tips.  It is a two-way relationship. 

Well said.

ny2nh

Quote from: Keith and Stuff on August 30, 2007, 08:11 AM NHFT
While we're on the subject: people who tip less than 18% on a regular basis are likely to get ignored whenever my back is turned, and that's not just at my place, that's every restaurant in America.   

I am not sure all of America is like that.  For example, in Memphis there are certain places where the average tip is likely less than 15%.  Also, there are crazy people like me that tend to tip 20% for good service and 15% for average service but do not tip on the tax because it has nothing to do with the service or food.  Where I live it is not uncommon for bartenders in nicer places to average over $30 an hour and considering they likely report only half of that to the IRS they are making very good money (again considering they don't even need to have finished high school or paid for any special training).  They should try to serve everyone well.

I don't know what it is like in NH but to the majority of people where I live, 15% is still a decent enough tip that the person should not get ignored or bad service.

Edit:  Um, I forgot this is a meeting type event.  Um, actually, at my local LP meetings for example, the rest. lets us meet for free but they add in a 20% tip (even on taxes) to our bills and that seems fine since they let us use the meeting room for free.  However, in a non-MVP meeting type of situation, I still stand by what I said.

I think 15% is pretty minimal. Unless the waitstaff were absolute dicks to me, I always double the tax and round up....then add depending on how well the service is. Since we have 8% rooms & meals tax, I'm starting at 16% for my minimum.....and then I hardly ever stay there. When I buy 2 beers @ $2 each - I give leave $5.....every time I order pretty much. Two people, 3 beers each, $3 = 25% tip.

I figure if I were having to deal with what they have to deal with, I'd want to earn a decent living.....I just try to put myself in their shoes.

Phil

Quote from: shuvom on August 29, 2007, 09:52 PM NHFT
All,

Reminder that we've got a meeting this Saturday, the first, at 11 am, at Murphy's taproom!

There's a good chance Mayor Guinta will be there, and a GREAT chance that BOOK SWAP will occur. 

Let me know if anyone wants to be on the agenda: shuvom@comcast.net

Thanks,
Shuvom

The Mayor is confirmed for 11:30am at Murphy's for this Saturday's MVP meeting.

Phil  

mvpel

And don't leave a $1 tip on a mojito unless you want to irritate the bartender.

sandm000

Tom Sawyer

At the meeting, I went to, the waitress seem to be friendly and efficient. It is tough working a large crowd.

error

Quote from: Rearden on August 30, 2007, 11:26 AM NHFT
Waiting tables when the place is packed is very challenging, and if someone does a good job despite having the kitchen run long on tickets and the bar getting weeded on drinks and having a wait at the door... they deserve the 18-20%. 

No, they deserve more than 20%!